The 1762 Waterworks, recognized as a National Historic Landmark, Historic Civil Engineering Landmark, and an American Water Landmark, was the first pumped municipal water system in America. This building housed the mechanical system for pumping water from a nearby spring, which flowed at the rate of 1,200,000 gallons of water a day. Using only the water power of the Monocacy Creek, an 18-foot diameter undershot waterwheel turned a mechanism which pumped water from the spring up 94 vertical feet to a tower (where Central Moravian Church now stands) and, by gravity, fed five cisterns in the living areas of the town. The Waterworks was actively used as a pumping station until the 1830s. The spring itself was used as the main water source for the City of Bethlehem until the early 20th century.
Visit our website: https://downtownbeth.wpengine.com/waterworks/