The 1758/1765 Nain-Schober House is, according to the Delaware and Lehigh National Heritage Corridor Commission, the only extant 18th century building that was built by and lived in by Native Peoples in Eastern Pennsylvania. The house is a 1½ story structure with exterior walls made of white oak timbers with dove-tail joints and logs that are parged with stucco and scored to resemble coursed stone.

The Christianized American Indian village of Nain, located one mile west from the Gemeinhaus, was dismantled in 1765 when the American Indians were forced by the colonial Pennsylvania government to move west. This house was acquired by Andreas Schober, who took it down piece by piece and re-erected it at the southwest corner of Heckewelder Place and Market Street. To save it from being demolished, it was taken down piece by piece once again in 1905 and then re-erected at its present location on Heckewelder Place. It is the only surviving structure from that village.

The building was owned by the Moravian Church and leased as a private residence until 1992 when it was purchased by the Moravian Museum of Bethlehem. Through generous gifts and grants, the exterior was completed in 2012 and interior stabilization was completed at the end of 2013.

Tours are available as a part of the Moravian Museum of Bethlehem tour at request.

Visit our website: