Bethlehem’s Farm in the City is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Burnside Plantation lies along the Monocacy Creek, six-tenths of a mile north of the Colonial Industrial Quarter, America’s first industrial park.
Little Cot (c.1748), as the house was called by James and Mary Burnside, is a 2 story three bay residence built of rubble stone with brick arches over the windows and herringbone patterned doors. The exterior was parged and scored. The back roof sloped giving the appearance of a saltbox. In 1818, the house was enlarged adding an entrance door and two rooms on the first and second floors with connecting stair. The sloping roof was raised to provide space for a granary.
During the Burnside’s time in addition to the farmhouse, the family had a log stable, log barn, and smoke house which are no longer extant.
The summer kitchen was added in the 1820s as well as the wagon shed and corncrib. The 1840s Pennsylvania bank barn was burned to the ground in the 1920s; however, the stone foundation remained and a nearby bank barn from the same period was taken down and rebuilt on the site including the high horsepower wheel. It is one of the only remaining working high horsepower wheels in the U.S.
Go on a Tour:
Visitors are encourage to stroll the pristine plantation and enjoy the historic gardens, open from dusk till dawn. To see inside the Burnside farmhouse, summer kitchen, and bank barns, visitors will need to setup an appointment tour. Call 1-800-360-TOUR to schedule today!
Visit our website:https://getdowntownbethlehem.com/burnside-plantation/