The 1869 Luckenbach Mill, located within the Colonial Industrial Quarter was built in a few months on the foundations of the earlier 1751 Grist Mill, which was destroyed by fire in 1869. The mill ground grain into coarse and fine flour. This building functioned as a grist mill until the late 1940s when it became an automobile parts store surrounded by a junk yard. This brick building was restored in the early 1980s, but portions of the first floor and north and east walls of the 1751 mill are still visible. Today, the mill has become our Luckenbach Mill Learning Center with the first and second floors having multi-purpose activity spaces for hands-on school and adult programs.
The third floor houses our Historic Bethlehem Library and Archives, including a collection of 10,000 photographs of Bethlehem, a 2,000 volume library and thousands of letters, manuscripts, maps, and documents relating to the history of our community.
You can tour the 1869 Luckenbach Mill along with multiple other historical sites in our Colonial Industrial Quarter Walking Tour.
Visit our website: https://historicbethlehem.org/?historic-site=1869-luckenbach-mill